THE popular Club House at the North Rand Training Centre (Randjesfontein) burnt to the ground on Monday morning. Fortunately, nobody was injured, reports NICCI GARNER on tabonline.co.za.
According to Phumelela general manager racing operations Lyle Anderson, building contractor Brian de Villiers and bloodstock agent Sharon Patterson, breakfasting near the chimney in the restaurant at 9.30am, noticed smoke drifting out of a light fitting. They went to investigate and within moments, the whole building went up in flames.
Anderson said on Tuesday: “We haven’t ascertained what started the fire and the insurance company and loss assessor went to investigate this morning. The place is gutted.
“Strangely, at the same time the veld on the other side of the dam caught fire – though the two fires were unconnected. We had to quickly dig a fire-break to stop the veld fire from spreading into Randjesfontein but it still burnt a bit of the grass between the fence and the road, under the pylons.”
Randjesfontein Club House was built about 25 years ago and it is estimated that it will cost up to R5 million to replace.