THE Canon Gold Cup race meeting at Greyville this Saturday may be swopped with Sunday’s Turffontein fixture following 115mm of rain at the Durban racecourse from 7am on Monday until 10am on Wednesday.
The Greyville track is very wet after the deluge, but with good weather forecast from Thursday it is set to dry sufficiently to enable racing to take place on Saturday.
“As things stand we hope to be able to race on Saturday, which obviously will be first prize for everybody. But we need everybody to be aware that if the track does not dry as hoped, we will give it additional drying time by postponing the meeting to Sunday. In that case Phumelela has kindly agreed to bring Sunday’s Turffontein meeting forward to Saturday to fill the gap,” said Gold Circle Director of Racing Graeme Hawkins yesterday.
A decision on whether to swop the two meetings will be delayed until Friday lunchtime, when it should be possible to ascertain whether the track is drying fast enough for racing to go ahead on Saturday.
The Gold Cup meeting is the last major raceday of the 2010-11 racing season and the four Grade 1 contests on the card could have a major impact on championship honours for the season. For that obvious reason it’s essential that all possible steps be taken to hold the race meeting before the start of the new season on Monday 1 August.
Headline photo: Gold Cup hopeful Ilsanpietro (red cap, winning).